Friday, May 27, 2011

In Flanders Field

In Flanders field the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
~Lt. Colonel John McRae
1872-1918

There won't be much time to sew over the busy weekend with family and friends. But it does give me time to think about loved ones who fought for our country. My father and Uncle Earl, who were veterans of WWII. My brother who was a veteran of the Vietnam War, who now rests at Arlington. As a woman who has not served, it is hard for me to imagine the hardships and heartaches they had to bear as a part of a war; let alone the daily longing for family and familiar surroundings.

My memorial day will be filled with burgers and sunshine, but it will also be filled with thoughts of those who gave so much so that I might live this life that means so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment