Sunday, August 18, 2013

Remember the time...?

Ah, How good it feels!  The hand of an old friend.
     ~  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Sue invited us to visit their mountain home in Arizona, and it was a lovely day.
The girls played in the woods, we rocked on the porch, talked over old times, and generally just enjoyed each other's company.

I wanted to do a little thank you for the day and I decided to do a word block on a kitchen towel.
I tried to include favorite memories, and used the software to place the words using various fonts.

I added an edgewalk underlay to most of the lettering through the Artista Software, worked with the colors to get an idea of how it would stitch out, and chose some little ornaments.  Harrington, Blackboard, Varsity, St. Charles and Anniversary are a few of the fonts that I used.

The stitch out was quick and easy.  I used two layers of tear-away on the back, and solvy on top.  I used a long strip of a cotton print that was the width of the towel and about 6 inches deep.  I folded it lengthwise, stitched it to the wrong side of the towel and pulled it forward, enclosing the ends of the stripe under the fabric.

I know Sue's friends and family will enjoy their mountain home with family and friends for many years to come!

Christmas in August

Be merry all, be merry all,
With holly dress the festive hall;                                                
Prepare the song, 
the feast, the ball,
To welcome merry Christmas.

                   ~William Robert Spencer

I took this partially completed project home from the store intending to complete it for our Christmas in July event.  Needless to say, it did not get finished in time, so I pulled it out on a rainy day last week and finished it up.

     I was able to choose how I finished it;  I considered a pillow, but decided on a wall hanging.  The wreath didn't have a border, so I added strips with a green and red polka dot from my stash.  I used the #18 button sew on foot to add the button berries.  I am finally getting used to it, and I think when I have more than a few buttons to sew on at one time, I will be happy to have it.

To finish up the wreath, I made a tube out of a scrap of the green, turned it with the seam on the back, pressed it, and cut it in half.  I pinned these to the inside, with the loops facing inward. (how many times have I done that backwards?)

I had some bright green rick rack in my stash so I used that in the seam line between the lining and polka dot to give the hanging a little border.

Rather than using velcro to attach the tabs, I did buttonholes and once again buttons.  I attached it to the Merry Christmas hanger and took my photo.

( My next photo shows the broken lens line in the upper left corner, I am upset about it but not upset enough to ditch my iphone.)

This isn't my favorite project, but it could brighten a dull space on the wall during the Christmas Season.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Chevron Sun Dress

 On manners of style, swim with the current,
on matters of principle, stand like a rock.
       ~ Thomas Jefferson    

This little dress from Olive Ann seemed to be the perfect pattern for Miss Mae, and I got a huge smile when I showed her the pattern and the fabric.  I wanted to do a pink/navy combination, but after rummaging through my stash I decided to go with the crisp navy and white, polka dot and chevron.

The pattern gives the option of a fully lined dress or a lining for the bodice, and I decided the just do the half lining.  When I put the polka dot behind the chevron, though, the navy was clearly visible on the white portion of the chevron.  I used a fusible woven interfacing on the bodice polka dot and that solved that little problem.
On the right is a photo of the front of the dress with the ruffle attached to the hem, and with the plain straps.  I thought it was really cute like this, and as I slipped it over her head for approval,....her response..."Bibi, can you put another ruffle up here?"  pointing to the neckline.  As tedious as the durned ruffle was to fool with, how could I say NO to that?
And I almost forgot to mention matching the chevrons.  Yikes!  It is absolutely necessary to do, and it is somewhat of a pain.  This dress was easier than most because of the simplicity,  but I carefully laid it out, getting both pieces as close to the same spot on the chevron as possible, and then matching the stripes at the quarter inch seam.

You know that I have a love affair with the Ruffler foot, #86, but this ruffle is gathered down the middle and finished on both sides.  Durn it!  So after cutting the ruffle to the correct length, I got the #68 foot, and finished both long sides of the ruffle.  I guided it carefully with with my left hand, held my mouth just right, and after a little practice I had long lengths of ruffle with nice little double folded hems.
I attached the ruffle to the neckline and straps, and I have to admit it is cute on her.  Mae Mae tickles me with her little poses in the dress, but she is very happy with it!  Her mommy posted this picture on Facebook.