Thursday, December 15, 2011

A December birthday present

Run, run, as fast as you can,
You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!

I have my camera in the shop because the colors just aren't showing true. Regardless, this hunter green apron needed some brighter colors to bring it to life.
The applique came from Planet Applique, the font is Sugar and Spice. I added trim in hot pink and lime green, and it looks really pretty on the darker green.

My birthday present for Lynda is complete!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

O Christmas Tree....

A friend gave this little collar to Issa when she was a baby, and Mandy thought a yoke dress was just what it needed. It has a pretty little Chrismas tree in shadow embroidery, then tiny candy canes on either side. I made the dress without a collar; as soon as Christmas is over I will use it for a pattern and make a white collar with a monogram or an applique for Valentine's day.

I had more red gingham to use, so I cut out a size 6 from the Bodice Dress that I had used to make her Easter dress. I used white piping and red rick rack around the cuffs and under the bodice, and it took some time to figure out just how to do it. I did the bodice first; I ran a basting stitch around the bottom to hold the lining to the dress, then attached the piping using the #23 applique foot. After several false starts, I decided on the #12 foot to attach the rick rack on top of the piping, in just the right place so that when I flipped the piping over just the red triangle of the rick rack would peep out below it. The groove on the underside of the 12 foot was large enough to hold both the piping and rick rack in place; the right side of the foot is higher to accomodate the extra bulk of both trims. I caught Issa before lunch looking at a Christmas ornament, she had her Sunday shoes on, and the little ballerina foot caught my eye. I wish the light had been better, but I loved the photo.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Bibi's bows

For these little gifts I cut my ribbon about 24 inches long, and embroidered the narrower of the two. I used the large hoop with Stable Stick, scored it with a straight pin, then laid the ribbon carefully down on top of the sticky surface. By using the large hoop, I was able to get all the ribbons down without rehooping.
The flowers are from the artista software, the tiny rosebud is from the Martha Pullen CD, Sweet Baby. The font for the larger ribbons is Lisa, and Peyton's font is Blackboard. Then it was a matter of stitching the ribbons together, and I'll attach them to a ponytail elastic so that they can bounce around on little pony tails.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Merry Jingle!

Kathy stitched out this pillow on a pretty print dishtowel; I added the trim and sewed up the sides. We thought the font would be nice on a holiday pillow, it is Christmas Card; she brought it into the Artista Software and digitized it to stitch out. You cannot see in this photograph, but she outlined each letter through the software also, and it is really pretty in person. Then we just stuffed it with a little travel pillow.

Just 3 more weeks to finish off my Christmas gifts!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Christmas Ornament Shirts

It's time to fix up some Christmas t-shirts for my little girlies. I put Sarah's in the mail this morning, so I don't have a picture of it. The Chrismas ornament frame for the monograms is from Embroidique. I played around with different fabrics; Katelyn's and Mae's shirts have gold lettering. Again, I slowed the machine to half speed and did not have a problem at all with the metallic thread breaking; I used Gutterman thread.

Mae was pretty excited this afternoon telling me about Stella the elf who visits their house each night. I have a feeling it is going to be an extra special Christmas.