Sunday, December 11, 2011

O Christmas Tree....

A friend gave this little collar to Issa when she was a baby, and Mandy thought a yoke dress was just what it needed. It has a pretty little Chrismas tree in shadow embroidery, then tiny candy canes on either side. I made the dress without a collar; as soon as Christmas is over I will use it for a pattern and make a white collar with a monogram or an applique for Valentine's day.

I had more red gingham to use, so I cut out a size 6 from the Bodice Dress that I had used to make her Easter dress. I used white piping and red rick rack around the cuffs and under the bodice, and it took some time to figure out just how to do it. I did the bodice first; I ran a basting stitch around the bottom to hold the lining to the dress, then attached the piping using the #23 applique foot. After several false starts, I decided on the #12 foot to attach the rick rack on top of the piping, in just the right place so that when I flipped the piping over just the red triangle of the rick rack would peep out below it. The groove on the underside of the 12 foot was large enough to hold both the piping and rick rack in place; the right side of the foot is higher to accomodate the extra bulk of both trims. I caught Issa before lunch looking at a Christmas ornament, she had her Sunday shoes on, and the little ballerina foot caught my eye. I wish the light had been better, but I loved the photo.




No comments:

Post a Comment