Monday, August 30, 2010

Bibi gardens, too




I don't know if she remembers it or not, but my sister Lynn told me, when I was in my early twenties, that I would make a great grandma. I liked to bake, enjoyed African violets, and made lots of my own clothes. (yep, I was a drag) But now I hope she was right. This photo has nothing to do with sewing, but it reminds me of my Grandma Albin, who lived in Gulfport, Mississippi. She had a carport full of flowers in odd pots, and one of them was a night blooming Cereus. I remember visiting in the summer and staying up late at night, sipping unsweetened iced tea and waiting for this strange flower to bloom. Sure enough, around midnight, the most magnificent bloom appeared. We all marveled at its beauty, went to bed, and by the time we checked the next morning it was hanging sadly from the big green leaf on an otherwise kind of strange looking plant.

As I passed by my back door one night, I saw the moonlight catching these 2 gorgeous blossoms, and I was thrilled to see that my Cereus was actually blooming. It is one of those plants that you can put in a pot and ignore, and if you keep a sharp eye and stay up late, you will be rewarded! Here's to Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment