The dress has been made twice. The first time it had darts in the back, making it slightly fitted. Wonderful darts using Carol Harris's method of stitching next to a sheet of paper, reaching the end point, then lifting the presser foot slightly and stitchine a few stitches inside the dart. It had wonderful french seams, it had a placket facing the right direction .Then I tried it on Mae.
Oh no! Mandy wanted me to add one inch strips of fabric down the side. NEVER! All I could do was detach the gathered skirt, remove the piping, take out the darts and re do the placket. So that is what I did, and now it fits. In my haste I put the placket in perfectly backwards. I decided to let it stay that way.
So this morning I went to the patio, and under the watchful eye of St. Joseph drank my coffee, whipped down the bodice lining, and hemmed it. Not exactly the dress as I had planned it, but I think Miss Mae is completely happy with her purple dress.