My 3 dear little girls are all decked out in their Auburn dresses. The latest addition is Kirstin, and I knew the girlies would enjoy being dressed just like her.
For Kirstin's dress, I just took a strip of the pawprint fabric, doubled it over right sides together so that I would have a bodice lining, and measured around her chest. Then I drew armholes, cut them out, and sewed up the back of the bodice, across the top and back down. I clipped it and turned it and pressed up the lining a half an inch. I pieced the skirt just like I did the big girl dresses, sewing together the strips of the various prints. I used the ruffle foot to gather the strips and added the polka dot strip around the hem.
Attaching the bodice to the skirt with a straight seam was easy, and instead of buttonholes in the back I used velcro. I had a long strip of velcro that was a little too wide so I cut it in half lengthwise with a rotary cutter, then attached the long strip on the back bodice and skirt. The velcro makes it easy for little fingers, even when they are in a pink and green cast, to dress Kirstin.