Sunday, March 3, 2013

Ruthie again

We could never have loved the earth so well if we had had no childhood in it. 
 ~George Eliot, The Mill on the Floss, 1860

I want to show you Mae's version of the little "Ruthie" pattern.  It is in the softest  pink with a black background.  This dress has a shorter yoke that gives it a little younger appearance.  Mae will also appreciate a shorter sleeve.




I like the way the pattern instructs  you to do the rick rack trim around the sleeve.  You finish the edge of the sleeve;  they recommend  serger but I just used my overlock  2A foot  which is so much easier than dragging out the serger.  Then place the rick rack on top of the  sleeve at exactly a quarter inch above the edge of the sleeve, and keep it in place with tiny dots of fabric glue. I have discovered the only way for me to be successful with rick rack is to dot glue, and then stitch it down using my # 10 foot.  After you stitch it down, turn it under and just half of the rick rack is visible giving it a pretty look.  Then do a topstitch along the edge of the sleeve.  I use the #10 foot, bump it over two spaces, and let the blade ride along the edge of the sleeve.  Here is the sleeve before the topstitch.



So here is Miss Mae in her little version of Ruthie.  I wanted to add a border of the rick rack trim around the hem but I have run out of the soft shell pink and can't find it anywhere.  Getting a photo of Mae The Moving Target is never easy, but I coaxed her into a quick shot by letting her leave her jeans and t-shirt on UNDER the dress.









Now I am on to Katelyn's dress and a special request for blue!

1 comment: