Sunday, March 24, 2013

I Want to Buy a Paper Doll That I Can Call My Own...

                        (If you remember the title of this post as a song from the Mills Brothers when you were young, well...lets just say you are not a part of Generation X.)



The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been.  ~Madeleine L'Engle


One part of my youth that I have not lost is my love for paper dolls.  Oliver + s has a precious design for their pattern envelopes, and I picked up this pattern at the Atlanta Sewing Center in Duluth.  You know I love the way my Children's Corner patterns fit, but this Seashore Sundress had some cute details and  I decided to give it a try.  This particular dress was a special request from Katelyn.  "Purple and pinkish flowers, and if we can't find that...Blue flowers."   We wanted a polycotton blend so that we could take it out of the wash and give it a shake, so this Tutti Fruitti  fabric  was our choice.





After cutting it out, which is somewhat of a chore for me, I did the applique K on the center front, using the Sassy Applique font.  With the Artista Designer Software I was able to topstitch on top of the satin stitch outline. (with a little help from a friend)  The easiest way was to go over to my color film on the right of the screen, then duplicate the first placement stitch and place it at the end.  It is not perfect;  I have a few pokie outies, but I am pleased with the result.

My little Birmingham girls are happily at home with mommy and daddy;  I was not quite able to finish the dress, but I will hopefully do that today.  I will send it tomorrow with her Chevron Skirt and BEAR, who is still sleeping peacefully upstairs.  Thankfully a wise mommy made sure that she has 2 BEARs and BUNNY, so my little girl is not too sad when she goes to sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment