We have been seeing the little pocket t-shirts with monograms, usually done with a chevron print. I checked out an in-the-hoop design from one of the applique sites, but I did not just love the way it looked. So I decided....how hard can a patch pocket be on a knit?
Then I just cut a patch pocket pattern from one of the many green accounting tablets that are around my house. The same tablet that Joe uses to compose my cards, the ones on which our grocery lists are scribbled, and the ones Joe uses to scratch his never ending TO DO lists . I centered the patch over the monogram, eyeballing the center, counting the dots on either side of the monogram, and cut it our adding a 1/4 " seam. I cut 3 additional pockets for linings, and sewed them right sides together, leaving a little bit on the side where I could pull it through, trimmed the corners and seams, turned it and PRESSED AND STEAMED, making sure the lining didn't peek out on the sides.
The final step was carefully stitching the pocket to the shirt. I used a stabilizer on the back of the shirt, my trusty #10 foot, bumped off center just once, and stitched it down, making sure to reinforce the corners.
Maybe the mommies will want one of my t-shirts!