Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Lesson in Mindfulness

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.  If you want to be happy, practice compassion. ~ Dalai Lama
This towel was going to be a gift for the kind woman, Cheryl Wilfong, who introduced me to meditation at a time when I needed it most.  She shared her skill and loving kindness each morning and afternoon with a small group of appreciative vacationers.
I wanted to do a word block with some of the phrases that she used during her guided meditations.  I used the Artista Software and a variety of fonts and colors.  It was fun to move the words around, and insert the tiny images.

 I  began to stitch.  The colors looked great, I had used 2 layers of stabilizer on the bottom and solvy on the top, and I was smiling when I took my hoop from the machine.   That is, until I began to tear the stabilizer from the back of the towel.  One of them was a CUTAWAY!  If I tugged and pulled, I could get some of it from around the back of the block, but there was no getting the stabilizer from between the words and letters.  Sigh.

So I will keep this towel, and do another for Cheryl.  I may revise it a little. I will be reminded of  Katherine Graham's quotation from a previous post.  And I will think back to my morning meditations, where I concentrate and attempt to be mindful of the moment.  Maybe I can learn to slow down, not multitask and hurry, and be mindful of what I am doing in the moments seated in front of my Bernina!

No comments:

Post a Comment