Sunday, June 10, 2012

Little Sewist


 Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern; it will come out a rose by and by.  Life is like that - one stitch at a time taken patiently and the pattern will come out all right like the embroidery.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
As you can see from the photograph where Katelyn is intently  concentrating on  the sewing machine, Miss Sarah has nothing to wear and needed a dress.  Katelyn and I had spent a rainy day shopping  for fabric at JoAnn's, and she picked out a loverly butterfly print with sparkles sprinkled lightly over it.  We then took a trip to Target and bought 2 little tank tops.  Katelyn picked a purple one for Sarah, and we went back to her home to start the little dress.
I was amazed again at how she was able to sew a straight seam on my old Bernina 830.  We first repaired her pillowcase, and she followed my pencil line easily.  She had to sit on the very edge of the chair in order for her toes to reach the foot control.  I pressed a tiny double fold on both long edges of our torn strip of fabric, pinned it in place, and Katelyn slowly stitched the seam, using the guide on the foot.  It was fun watching her regulate the speed...("ooooh, that's too fast!") and guide the fabric at the same time.  I am so looking forward to the time it will take together learning this new skill. The last step in our little project was to attach the skirt to the tank top. I did this step with a fairly loose zig zag stitch, and Sarah appears to be thrilled with the results.




 The only way  I could coax tiny Sarah to stand still for a photo was to promise Cheeze-its, so of course I resorted to that.  I leave Birmingham and these two little powerhouses tomorrow, worn out but happy!                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment