We have used the Bernina Cut Work Accessory before to do cut work on linen towels, and the results were pretty. The concept is really amazing when you actually think about it....instead of a needle, you put the tool in your machine and it has a little blade that cuts out your design. For these three projects, we used the punched out design as an applique, rather than focusing on the cut out portion of fabric. The flower design was in the software, I added the lettering with the Alicefont. The gingham tulip was cut out with the blade by just attaching my fabric to hooped Hydrostick. The software tells you when to turn the blade to a different angle...1, 2, 3, 4...and then your design is all punched out. You then attach your applique to the project, and complete the rest as a regular embroidery design.
Where flowers bloom, so does hope. ~ Lady Bird Johnson
Kathy punched out the frog with the accessory
and the software, and then applied it to a bib. This design
used a straight stitch around the frog instead of a satin
stitch, and I like the effect.
My last project was another applique; I used white linen on hydrostick and cut out the white portion of the design, attached it to the linen towel with 505, and then completed the embroidery around it. I like the result and plan to put the name of a friend under the Fleur de Lis.
The cutwork package is a little pricey, and it is nice to have a second option for its use. If we get some samples done with free standing lace, I'll show you those!