Thursday, February 23, 2012

NASHVILLE !

Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross
To see a fine lady upon a white horse
With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes
She shall have music wherever she goes.


                                                          
Kathy and I were able to go to Nashville to attend the Children's
Corner pre-day sewing school with Debbie Glenn.
 
We signed on to make this pique
sundress with a new method for shadow
embroidery.  It was a time consuming task, and I am not sure that it is a technique that I would use again, but I think that the dress will be precious on little Sarah.  Debbie Glenn is a true perfectionist and this fact is reflected in the craftsmanship of her garments.  We spent the entire morning working on the little rocking horse; tracing it, cutting out the individual colors from batiste, then anchoring it on the pique before applying the sheer batiste that would give the "shadow" effect .

  The dress in the photo to the right doesn't actually have a puff sleeve, one is hanging behind the sundress.
I am not entirely happy with my shadow rocking horse, and Kathy and I are considering doing our inserts over with a monogram or applique .  I will have to see how much trim I have left, and look closely again at my little horse .
     The sewing school at Children's Corner was, as always, well organized and fun.  The new classroom is roomy and well lit, with plenty of tables, and the walls are decorated with garments from the visiting instructor.  After the class there is time to shop for patterns and fine fabric 

Of course, a good portion of the fun is girlfriend time and sipping wine!  There is a story to trying to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew but all I can say is that it takes considerable time and for me was not successful.  (See photo with paper clip and Nivea lip balm)

I am looking forward to another sewing school with the wonderful Children's Corner teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment