Thursday, June 27, 2013

Saguaro or Agave?




The years between fifty and seventy are the hardest.  
You are always being asked
 to do more, and you are not
 yet decrepit enough to turn
them down.
       ~ T.S. Eliot, quoted in Time



     When I appliqued t-shirts for our Arizona vacation, I used the saguaro cactus.  At the time I didn't know that the saguaro didn't  grow in Sedona because it is too cold.  But they were cute little designs, they came from Linnie Pinnie and I thought they would be fun to do.   I used the Sugar and Spice  font for the lettering on their names.
     We learned a little about cactus on one of our tours.  I loved the story of the agave  or century plant.  It is not really a cactus, and it is used to make agave nectar and tequila.  But the wonderful thing is...it doesn't really show its stuff until it is around 60!


At some time after 60, it grows a huge stalk with blossoms, then the entire plant dies. 
I am hoping  to last a little longer than my 60s, but regardless of when I go,  I like the idea of saving my best for last!

No comments:

Post a Comment