Friday, March 2, 2012

Spread your wings, and let the fairy in you fly! ~ Author Unknown

 
Katelyn and I have read about fairies during our last few visits.  She decided that she needed a cape, so a trip to Hancock's was necessary.  Oh my goodness, it took a very long time to choose the perfect fabric; she wanted dark pink and she wanted sparkles.  After some help from the nice lady that worked there, she chose a dark pink ever so lovely fabric and this burda pattern. The fabric was as sheer as a fairy wing! We could not resist the peacock blue feather boa;  mommy may be picking blue feathers from her Berber carpet for weeks. I am not so used to sewing on such fancy fabric, and did not have any idea how I was going to proceed, so I just dove in!

  After I cut out my pieces, I sewed them into the circular shaped cape.  I did not put the collar or hood on it, and finally settled on just a bias binding around the neck.  It worked well, so I used a pink grosgrain ribbon (with beautiful sparkly silver polka dots) to trim the outside of the neckline and hang into ties.  I had enough ribbon to double the ties, stitched them down and they look loverly on the sparkly fabric.

My last embellishment was silver and pink ribbon which I ran through the trusty Bernina #88 ruffler foot.  A Bibi with granddaughters could not do without the magic ruffler!  I attached it to the hem, then covered the back seam with a tiny grosgrain ribbon.  I will not soon forget the smiles and hugs from my sweet little Birmingham girl. 

3 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL! You simply cannot give up this blog! Here's hoping you can solve the security issues with blogspot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Let me know how it sorts out in the end.

    ReplyDelete